Subject: Re: Wireframe Earth
From: Michael Meshew <[email-masked]>
To: Dave Boyer <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lightwave <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 15:10:30 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Feb 1995, Dave Boyer wrote:

> 
> Does anyone know where I could get a decent (and well-mapped) wireframe 
> of Earth? I've tried a variety of mapping techniques using the on-board 
> "planet" wireframe using several NASA images etc. but cannot seem to get 
> by the problem of double image warping using spherical mapping (I can get 
> the general idea across, but it sure doesn't look like any planet I've 
> ever lived on). 
> 	Also, in the animation I'm working on, the Earth needs to rotate 
> a full 360 degrees: Everything I've tried makes the far side of the Earth 
> look like a truly scary place to visit.  Is there any object disk set I 
> could purchase which would include an accurate Earth from space or is 
> there something else available? Thanks
> 
   Eric Flom of ElfWorks has an incredibly detailed Earth model with bump 
maps & a very nice cloud layer that you can rotate at a seperate speed 
that is available on one of the LightwavePro disks or LIGHT-ROM CD ROM. 
It is the same Earth that was used for the Toaster 4000 wipe. Eric also
has a very nice Listerine bottle & Fender Stratocaster object on LIGHT-ROM.

Hope this helps,

Michael